“Don’t care how, I want it now!” When we watch Veruca Salt sing those words in Willy Wonka we are immediately repulsed. And yet, lots of our time and energy is spent trying to unlock the secrets to a quick change of our circumstance. This week, mom of seven Helen Smallbone, encourages us that following Christ and parenting alike are long games. Marathons, in fact. She has honesty and wisdom to offer as we strive to grow and maintain relationships with our kids that last into adulthood. She also encourages us with some practical ways to foster relationships between our kids, to get them working, and retain our own sanity.
We’re taking time this summer (as usual) to be mentored by some experienced moms and benefit from their wisdom. This year I'm recording new interviews and I’m asking guests about their “mom brands”. They share their values, unique assignments God has given them and what helps their family flourish. The goal is to help you define your "mom brand" and the places God is assigning you.
- What stood out to you from the episode?
- Do you take a “mum’s time out” during the day? Why or why not? What would change about your day if you did?
- How do you balance connection with your kids while maintaining the boundaries of a parent-child relationship?
- How do you typically handle sibling conflict? Which of Helen’s tactics could you adapt to use in your own home?
- How do you maintain or reestablish connection with your child after an argument/difficult exchange?
- What’s your favorite way to help kids get their energy out? If another mom shares one that might work at your house, write it down!
- Helen reminded us that motherhood is not for the faint of heart - what aspect of motherhood has got you feeling fainthearted? Spend some time praying for one another about those specific areas.
Connect with Helen Smallbone:
- Thrive. Join Thrive Market today and get $80 in free groceries! Visit ThriveMarket.com/DMA.
- Peloton. The Peloton Bike+ is now $500 less, its best price yet! Including FREE delivery and setup. Visit onepeloton.com to learn more.
- Fabric. Protect your family with term life insurance now, in just 10 minutes. Apply today at MeetFabric.com/DMA to start protecting your family today.
Direct download: HelenSmallboneSofMWk12022.mp3
-- posted at: 12:30am CST