Childhood should be carefree, right? We hope that our kids make it to adulthood with as few scars as possible, but that isn’t the nature of the world we live in. What happens when our kids encounter grief? What happens when we aren’t able to give them the childhood we wanted them to have?
This week I talk with Lisa Appelo, widow and mom of seven, who found herself in that spot - grieving the life she wanted for herself and her children, and then having to navigate the shift in every relationship that comes through change or grief. What she has found in the last 11+ years has been the presence of God for her and her kids. The rhythm of their regular bible study was a lifeline and she offers us great encouragement of God’s nearness and direct involvement in our lives. Read more of their story in Lisa’s new book Life can be Good Again: Putting Your World Back Together After it All Falls Apart.
We’re taking time this summer (as usual) to be mentored by some experienced moms and benefit from their wisdom. I’m asking them about their “mom brands” and the unique families and assignments God has given them to help us embrace the specific and unique spot God has given each of us.
- What stood out to you in the episode?
- What does family bible reading look like in your home? What is one change you could make to your routine to incorporate some kind of bible reading? Think small! Remember that Lisa says it’s a fight to make that space but totally worth it.
- Where can you give your kids the freedom to choose, allowing the Lord to work in them independent of your direct guidance? You can think small here too!
- Where might you need to step back in your child’s life to preserve your relationship with them?
- What relationships have shifted because of loss or change, big or small? Spend time praying with and for one another over these relationships and God’s good plan for them. (This could feel like an insurmountable question for someone in your group - approach it with empathy and care!)
Connect with Lisa Appelo:
- Athletic Greens. Reclaim your health and arm your immune system with convenient, daily nutrition! Get a FREE 1 year supply of immune-supporting Vitamin D AND 5 FREE travel packs with your first purchase at athleticgreens.com/DMA.
- Stitch Fix. Sign up today at StitchFix.com/DMA to get $20 off your first purchase.
- Indeed. Need a hire? You need Indeed. Now with Indeed, businesses only pay for quality applications matching the sponsored job description. Visit Indeed.com/DMA to start hiring now.
Direct download: LisaAppeloSofMwk2.mp3
-- posted at: 12:30am CST